Thursday 13 June 2013

Mind reader

THERE was a Sikh seated at a table on the void deck of my block. I had just reached home around 4pm after finishing work (was working as a sub then with The New Paper). He looked like he was expecting me.

"Come, let me read your future..." he said to me.

I shook my head and walked on. But he called after me. "Just think of six numbers, but don't tell me. It's ok, I am not asking you for money. If you wish, later, I can still tell you your fortune."

I couldn't resist this. So I sat myself down, next to him. Thought of a combination of numbers and nodded to him to signal him that I was done. He took out a pen and scribbled down the numbers.

Bingo! Only the two last numbers were not in sequence to the "thought" numbers in my head. The rest were correct. If there is maths behind this (some probability stuff), can someone tell me how this is done?

"These are your lucky numbers," he told me.

I kept the scrap of paper in my wallet, thanked him, told him no fortune-reading, and made a beeline for home just in case he could read my mind further.

I didn't buy 4-d with those numbers... too scared.

After some time, I threw away that scrap of paper too with all the numbers.

I never saw the Sikh again... Who could he be? This was some 10 years ago though.


No comments: